[Buddha-l] there he goes again (sam harris)

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Oct 31 09:25:21 MST 2006

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 00:58, Mike Austin wrote:

> Experiencing the presence of 'a dog' also involves mental construction.
> Is this sort of mental construction present in direct experience?

If you ask most Indian Buddhists who wrote in Sanskrit, the answer would be
NO. If you ask a member of the Nyaya-Vaiseskika school, the answer would be
YES. To know how a Pali-using Buddhist would answer, you'd have to ask Lance
Cousins. If you ask me, I have no idea how one would decide such a question,
but I am inclined to agree with the Buddhists just out of a careless
life-long habit of agreeing with Buddhists about most things.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy