[Buddha-l] Re: Natural lucidity for all, a Buddhist dream

Michael J. Wilson michaeljameswilson at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 2 19:57:40 MDT 2006

  "In 2004 [ Jayne Gackenbach] found that frequent video game players have more "lucid dreams" (in which the dreamer is aware that they are dreaming) than non-gamers. Often, the dreamer can even manipulate the action or observe it in third-person, much like a video game.

Joy

  I have heard from a gamer on his research that our society in general is no more violent or even less violent today, even though video games are becom hugely popular and many of them are very violent as you know.  Was he right?

  There is a lot of research these days on meditation and meditators proving that meditators are happier etc. and the overall health benefits of meditation. Some of this research in the neurosciences is quite advanced, mapping areas of the brain to human experience and experience. Buddhist monks have been participants in this reserach. I am not sure when in the future the mind-machine (computer virtual reality inteface) will truly take place.

  I studied the Lucid Dreaming techniques of Steven Levine for a number of years and kept a dream journal.  I have no doubt in mind that practicing instead one of the seven yogas of Naropa - dream yoga - would be much more superior.  There was something called "drag racing to nirvana" a float tank, based on sensory deprivation experiements. Floating in a heavy saline solution with piped in music lulled one into blissful states of stress free relaxation.   In our urban environment this latter might be more convenient.  It is difficult to collect a paycheque and take time off to discipline oneself into higher states of mediation, wherein one is able to maintain the "Ariadne thread of consciousness" between dream and awake, and the ability to control, shape, and shift images and events in the dreamtime.

  Mike