[Buddha-l] Re: Natural lucidity for all, a Buddhist dream

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Sun Sep 3 02:16:56 MDT 2006

Michael J. Wilson,

<<I have heard from a gamer on his research that our society in general is no more violent or even less violent today, even though video games are becom hugely popular and many of them are very violent as you know.  Was he right?>>

***Difficult to say. Violence can take on many different forms. I think modern or rather contemporary society imposes a lot more on its citizens and in that it's more violent. The nature of the violence in a "democratic" state and a non-democratic one (not needing any other justification than its authority and power) tends to be different I'd say.
<<There is a lot of research these days on meditation and meditators proving that meditators are happier etc. and the overall health benefits of meditation. Some of this research in the neurosciences is quite advanced, mapping areas of the brain to human experience and experience. Buddhist monks have been participants in this reserach. I am not sure when in the future the mind-machine (computer virtual reality inteface) will truly take place.>>

***Yes, I recently read about another similar research project with Karmelite (?) nuns. And then there is the Maharishi's TM who never tires of stressing the "scientifcially proven" benefits of TM.

<<I studied the Lucid Dreaming techniques of Steven Levine for a number of years and kept a dream journal.  I have no doubt in mind that practicing instead one of the seven yogas of Naropa - dream yoga - would be much more superior.>>

***I don't think the basic techniques would be superior, but more thought and structure have been given to its context and presentation. Which is probably not neglectible and may play a role too of course, like the underlying motivation and intention. I guess what I want to say is that it's not a question of transmission of blessing or whatever.

<<There was something called "drag racing to nirvana" a float tank, based on sensory deprivation experiements. Floating in a heavy saline solution with piped in music lulled one into blissful states of stress free relaxation.   In our urban environment this latter might be more convenient.  It is difficult to collect a paycheque and take time off to discipline oneself into higher states of mediation, wherein one is able to maintain the "Ariadne thread of consciousness" between dream and awake, and the ability to control, shape, and shift images and events in the dreamtime.>>

***I believe there is more hope in changing our ways than into complicating our lives even further.

Joy