[Buddha-l] Tantric Buddhism - a brief bibliography

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Mon Sep 4 14:12:40 MDT 2006

A few weeks ago I requested help in finding books which would allow me
to sort out the differences between (a) Indian Hindu Tantric belief and
practice, (b) Indian Buddhist Tantric belief and practices, and (c)
Tibetan Tantric belief and practices.
I received several kind replies, and I am summarizing the suggested
books for the benefit of anyone else who might be curious, or anyone
else who might wish to add a title to the ones suggested.
Many thanks!
Bob Zeuschner
Recommended titles:

Bharati, 'The Tantric Tradition,' Doubleday Anchor, 1965.

Elizabeth English's book: Vajrayogini: Her Visualizations, Rituals, and
Forms.  Her focus is on the tantra in the Indian context.

Joyau des Tantra by Jean Papin.

'A brief history of tantric literature' by S.C. Banerjee (Naya Prokash,
Calcutta )

Ronald Davidson's recent books, "Indian Esoteric Buddhism" and "Tibetan
Renaissance," both both published by Columbia University Press.

Couple these books with work by Alexis Sanderson, John Newman, Stephen
Hodge, Vesna Wallace, Robert Mayer, and David Gordon White, and you'll
be off to a good start.