[Buddha-l] anti-Israel and anti-semitism

Nichts nichtsistnichts at filousophie.de
Sun Sep 24 00:01:46 MDT 2006

Am 23.09.2006 um 14:27 schrieb Mike Austin:
> My concern would be more about 'them' taking over my mind,  i.e.
> letting a fascination for politics, Islam, Israel and so on displace
> topics more central to a Buddhist discussion group.

The eagerness of Christian, Jewish, Moslim, Hindu and even Buddhist
fundamentalists for `cosmic war´, the `last battle between the forces
of materialism and true religion´ is indeed fascinating. In the moment
still very few in the West realize the depth and strength of Moslem
beliefs. Beliefs supported by kind of practices long since atrophied in
the West. Who, five times each day, performs ritual ablutions and
prostrates themselves in prayer? The discipline and self-abnegation
demanded crystallize in a rock-solid will and a culture of hate such as
we see with the Palestinian resistance. A grisly struggle to the death
is happening in Jerusalem, which may be a template for the future. Our
future. And in many ways we know this without recognizing it. Some of
my friends do not go anymore to the places in South of Thailand, they
once enjoyed. And in a few years this will be also the case with the
South of Spain. L´Andalusia. The border separating what Muslims call
`dar al-Islam´, the "House of Submission"(Islam), from `dar al-harb´,
the "House of Warfare" (everyone else) is a long irregular battlefront,
one that stretches across four continents. `Soft´targets are
plentifull. How long it will take for the Age of Terrorism, the mass
psychosis on all sides, is beyond estimation. But as with all things it
will end in time. And this end and what comes before this end will
affect us as Buddhists.

Thomas Fink