[Buddha-l] prostrations, anti-Israel and anti-semitism

Braitstein Lara larabraitstein at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 25 08:36:30 MDT 2006

A conversation about problems with Wahabi Islam is a
totally different conversation - perhaps the kind of
productive  and engaged conversation one could have
with anyone on this list or any Muslim in one's
neighborhood.  A blanket call against Islam as a
religion of hate, marking every religious practice of
a billion people (most not Wahabis) as cultivation of
hate, is ignorant and racist.  There is a big
difference.  The latter helps to alientate and
demoralize people.  It is hate speech and requires
response.

The climate of fear even on this list is such that
people who share my views always respond off-list. For
everyone's information, I have had a number of
students at my university approach me to thank me for
saying something, anything against some of the
hateful, essentializing material that shows up here.

Lara Braitstein