[Buddha-l] anti-Israel and anti-semitism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Sep 25 16:47:54 MDT 2006

 But when the subject is Islam, suddenly all good intentions appear to have
vanished.
> Funny people, those Buddhists!
> Erik
=============
What? When I think of Muslims, as opposed to the essential category "Islam",
I think with compassion of the women who got whipped and/or imprisoned, or
stoned to death, while the men who raped them got off; of the women,
particularly the Afghani women, forced to stumble around in gigantic cloth
tents with a tiny, heavily screened opening for vision, while the men can
move freely in their clothing; of the women forced to repeatedly bear
children up to 15-20 pregnancies because they must accept what god has
ordered as their destiny. One famous such woman, Nur Mahal, the beloved wife
of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan, endured 14 pregnancies and died giving
birth to her last. I feel
compassion for the girls who are married off as soon as they reach puberty
instead of being educated in school; compassion for the Muslim women who not
only must submit to god but even more so to their husbands, to being beaten
regularly if it's his choice, and denied divorce. (Even though the Quran
allows a woman to divorce, custom prevents it. Husbands can divorce wives by
merely saying the magic word, talaq, thrice.)
I feel compassion for the brothers of blood sisters they are forced to
murder in order to defend a family's "honor", recently in some cases when a
woman simply refused to marry the person selected as her future husband.
There is so much more that on some days it's hard to fathom it all.
Joanna