[Buddha-l] anti-Israel and anti-semitism

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 26 12:14:27 MDT 2006

jkirk schreef:

> But when the subject is Islam, suddenly all good intentions appear to
> have vanished.
>
>> Funny people, those Buddhists!
>> Erik
>
> =============
> What? When I think of Muslims, as opposed to the essential category
> "Islam", I think with compassion of the women who got whipped and/or
> imprisoned, or stoned to death, while the men who raped them got off;
> of the women, particularly the Afghani women, forced to stumble around
> in gigantic cloth tents with a tiny, heavily screened opening for
> vision, while the men can move freely in their clothing; of the women
> forced to repeatedly bear children up to 15-20 pregnancies because
> they must accept what god has ordered as their destiny. One famous
> such woman, Nur Mahal, the beloved wife of the Mughal emperor Shah
> Jahan, endured 14 pregnancies and died giving birth to her last. I feel
> compassion for the girls who are married off as soon as they reach
> puberty instead of being educated in school; compassion for the Muslim
> women who not only must submit to god but even more so to their
> husbands, to being beaten regularly if it's his choice, and denied
> divorce. (Even though the Quran allows a woman to divorce, custom
> prevents it. Husbands can divorce wives by merely saying the magic
> word, talaq, thrice.)
> I feel compassion for the brothers of blood sisters they are forced to
> murder in order to defend a family's "honor", recently in some cases
> when a woman simply refused to marry the person selected as her future
> husband.
> There is so much more that on some days it's hard to fathom it all.

My thoughts exactly, but those culprits who are guilty of all these wrongdoings, have been brought up by women and they think (at least some of them some of the time) that they are doing the right thing. Do you really think that they were model human beings and turned into beasts in the Q'uran school? The problem is not only the men, it's the women too.
My point is that calling them names is not going to make them any better. Maybe we should more think in terms of setting an example.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950