[Buddha-l] Swearing

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Thu Sep 28 05:05:01 MDT 2006

In message
<D2C0A16D198D634C8F90C8AC1DA3226FCEEEEE at MBX02.stf.nus.edu.sg>, John
Whalen-Bridge <ellwbj at nus.edu.sg> writes
>Some of us have been attempting to think up ways to swear that are
>compassionate.  Isn't this beside the point?

Not for me. The point I was interested in when I started this thread was
the causes for swearing - i.e. the emotions and intentions behind it. In
this context, looking at already 'established' expletives, one can maybe
see symptoms of what is underneath. I guess a part of this process would
be hypothesising a suitable expletive for a Buddhist, should he/she lose
their cool. Of course, apart from this sort of musing, it provides ample
scope for amusing.

--
Metta
Mike Austin