[Buddha-l] Fighting creationism

SJZiobro at cs.com SJZiobro at cs.com
Mon Apr 2 21:52:33 MDT 2007

In a message dated 4/2/2007 3:59:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jehms at xs4all.nl
writes:
> The leap from being to God is shear nonsense, because anything God does
> needs time, even He cannot create time.  If we come to the limits of a model it
> doesn't mean we are at liberty to fill in just any other which has the same
> limits.
> Besides, I dont't see what morals have to do with it, morals is about
> responsablility and religion takes that away. So when God talks, ethics fall
> silent.

I don't know about any of this, Erik.  The analogia entis and the via
eminentia seem viable ways of conceiving of the relation of the mutable and the
created to a Cause that is not anything.  With regard to time, I agree with you.
To say that God creates time is to speak in a mythic fashion if one conceives
of time as the result of the maesure of some movement among things.  Time and
thing are inextricably bound to each other.  (I take this to be something of
what Dogen intimates in his"Uji" fascicle.)  I might disagree with you that
religion relieves one from moral action and responsibility if you mean that
religion and human authenticity are opposed one to the other so as to be
contradictory.  Is that what you really mean?  My disagrement would probably arise in
part from what you understand by religion and what I may.  As for your very last
claim, that makes no sense whatsoever to me since I do not conceive of
anything as separate from God's logos (verbum).

Regards,

Stan Ziobro