[Buddha-l] Natural Evil

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Mon Apr 9 10:19:04 MDT 2007

Hi Stan --
It seems to me that you have totally trivialized the amount of
undeserved pain, suffering, and death in this world.
Try this: "Daddy, why are you so mean? You drowned my baby, my wife, my
family, and 250,000 others, many of whom went to your church for safety."
That's not "daddy-mean."
"Daddy, my baby strangled on her unbilical cord the day she was to be
delivered, and the pain caused to the mother was mean."
That isn't "daddy-mean." That is monstrously evil. Lives are ruined.

You want to excuse God for doing things that, if a human being did them,
we'd consider that person a monster and either execute them or put them
in jail for life.

Consider: I build an enclosed playground for my children, let them go in
to swing, climb, play in the sand, and then I throw a deadly snake into
their playground. I have done something evil.
God, the heavenly father, has done something even more evil, because
that imaginary being in the sky created the snake, knew what the snake
would do, and went ahead anyway, causing unnecessary pain, suffering,
and death.

The only ones who MUST find earthquakes evil are Christians, not Buddhists.
The reason is that Buddhists don't claim that this universe/world was
created by a loving father, a loving father of infinite power, infinite
knowledge, and infinite goodness.
The Christian God is the architect of the world and could have made it
better. God chose not to make a safe world but one that falls down on
us, erupts under us, etc. etc.
God is the building supplier (created everything out of nothing, and had
no limits on what God could create).
God is the building contractor, building everything.
God, being omniscient, KNEW in advance all the undeserved pain and
suffering his creation would cause -- could have built it otherwise
(omnipotent), but chose not to.
God could have created the best of all possible worlds.
God didn't.

I'm very aware of the free-will arguments (by the way, why do you
suppose that the concept of free will does not exist in Chinese
philosophy, Indian philosophy, etc.?)
Free-will is a theological concept needed to explain Adam and Eve's
misuse of their "free-will" to account for the alienation of God and humans.
As I teach it in my philosophy classes, free will is a fundamentally
incoherent notion. I prefer pratityasamutpada.

I'm also very aware of the distinction between natural evil and moral
evil, and teach these when I teach Augustine and Aquinas.
Evil as an absence of good is not a meaningful explanation, but that
would be another discussion.

I still find Christianity something that makes sense ONLY if one has
started out accepting the supernatural claims as true, and then one does
one's best to try to make sense of it all.
Bob