[Buddha-l] A candid question

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 15 02:08:03 MDT 2007

Joy Vriens schreef:

>> But I disagree with your assumption that practicing severe austerities was
>> reserved for Brahmins, at any time, or that it was also "meant" to lead to
>> death. The aim was above all to curb domination of the mind by the senses
>> and by bodily needs.
>>

> No, the contrary if I may believe the Paramahamsa-Parivrajaka Upanishad. Although for me and most modern Westerners any austerity would be severe.

What I don't understand, Joy is what on earth gave you the idea that brahmins practice austerities. The brahmins I know eat and drink abundantly, learn silly poems by heart and drink soma. And if they're old enough they drop out and turn on. They were the real hippies.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
products: http://stores.lulu.com/jehmsstudio