[Buddha-l] Desire

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Apr 24 17:14:30 MDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:19:45 -0700
  Bob Zeuschner <rbzeuschner at adelphia.net> wrote:
> The way I learned it is that the English term "desire"
>is not quite correct. The preferred reading was
>"self-centered desires" or "ego-centered possessiveness."

Confusingly, the term often used is 'kaama', which can
mean either desire in general or vicious desire. The word
is ambiguous. One way of disambiguating it is to qualify
it with some phrase that specifies the presence or absence
of ungrounded thinking (ayoni"so manaskaara). If desire is
accompanied by groundless thinking, then it tends to be
vicious. If it is accompanied by grounded thinking, then
it tends to be healthy, taking the form of friendship,
compassion and so forth. Even more confusing, the term
'raaga' can also be used for both virtuous and vicious
desire. As an unmarked term 'raaga' usually means vicious
passion, but it can mean wholesome desire if it is
qualified by a phrase denoting the presence of grounded
thinking.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy