[Buddha-l] Is this guy an, er, budding bodhisattva of IT?

James A. Stroble stroble at hawaii.edu
Thu Apr 26 03:40:34 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 16:44, jkirk wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/2pwpm2
> The 2007 Rave Awards
> Technology: The Wizard of OS
> Mark Shuttleworth | Ubuntu
>
> Used to be, Linux was easy to champion but hard to use. That was before
> Ubuntu. The free open source operating system - complete with a word
> processor, Web browser, spreadsheet application, and PDF reader - is
> elegant, secure, and intuitive. For that, we can thank South African tech
> entrepreneur Mark Shuttleworth.  [more]
>
> Anyone tried Unbuntu? Does it really work?
>
> Joanna

I currently  use Debian GNU/Linux  myself, but I really think we should avoid
a distro war on buddha-l, as it can get worse than dharma battles.  So to
answer the question:  yes, and yes.   The word "ubuntu" mean "humanity" (one
of the Confucian virtues, if I am not mistaken)  in South Africa,
Shuttleworth's home turf.

The good thing about Ubuntu is that you can download a disc image, burn that
to a cd,  reboot your computer off the new CD, and you can run the  system
from the disc without changing your current setup.  If you like it, then you
can install to the hard disk. If not, reboot after ejecting the cd, and your
back where you started.

There are several alternative versions of Ubuntu, that basically use different
graphic desktops, such as Kubuntu, (KDE desktop), and Xubuntu (something
else), and some special purpose, like Edubuntu.  You can find all kinds of
linux distros  at  http://distrowatch.com/ .    Too many, infact.

One thing you may not be able to do right off is view/listen to certain
proprietary codec audio/video files, for example DVD movies.  But there are
ways that this can be fixed.

Did we not have a discussion about the need for a Buddhist Linux Distro or at
least a theme for Ubuntu a while ago?   (Unlike the recent theodic
(theodical? ) postings I am really trying to make this relevant to the
academic study of Buddhism, really.)

--
     J a m e s   ( A n d y )   S t r o b l e

:The right way to seize a philosopher. Crates, is by the ears: persuade me
then and drag me off by them; but if you use violence, my body will be with
you, but my mind with Stilpo."  Zeno of Citium, Diogenes Laertius, VII:24