[Buddha-l] OOo (was: Is this guy an, er, budding bodhisattva of IT?)

Shiangtai Tuan shiangtai at alumni.duke.edu
Wed Apr 25 21:54:26 MDT 2007

At 10:44 PM 4/25/2007, jkirk wrote:
>http://tinyurl.com/2pwpm2
>
>Anyone tried Unbuntu? Does it really work?

It also says, on the website:
"So he decided to save the world from Windows. "
and
"Shuttleworth is sending Ubuntu (already translated into 35
languages) to anyone who asks, anywhere in the world. "

         How does any one ask for it?

         Talking about open source programs as competition to
Windows,  I heard the rumor that the Sun computer company (the fame
of many servers)  founder and CEO starts up every morning with a cup
of coffee and the words: "What can I do today to defeat Windows and
destroy MicroSoft.  That was only rumor.  However, in reality, he
started the StarOffice.  It was a free download.  You could use it
independently or install and run it on top of Widows.  It could do
almost everything  the Windows and the MS Office (MSWord, MSExcel,
MS...) could.  I used to have that version.  Now it is not free
download any more but the home version of SunOffice is not
expansive.  It has many language modules.

         The interesting thing is that there is an ***open source***
version came out of it.  It is call the OpenOffice.org.  Go to their
website and you will find out I wasn't kidding.  Click on "about" and
read up on their history.  Click on download and do serious
work.  The product is called OOo.  I bought a laptop and it has
Windows Vista (horror) on it.  It also had the "trial version" of
MSOffice Suite which went expired in a month (or five uses or
something like that).  I cic not send in the big check to renew
it.  Instead, I downloaded OOo 2.1 and am using it (including a word
processor ...) happily.  It can read .doc files and can save in .doc
(MSWord readable) files.  The current version is OOo 2.2.

         In case you cannot find Ubuntu (like me), try OOo.  Wish you
be saved from Windows and happy Ubuntu or happy OOo.

Best Regards, Shiangtai