[Buddha-l] Is this guy an, er, budding bodhisattva of IT?

James A. Stroble stroble at hawaii.edu
Sat Apr 28 01:29:26 MDT 2007

On Thursday 26 April 2007 13:52, jkirk wrote:
> Thanks James! I will see what I can do with it.
> Yes, Linux did come up on Buddha-L, like last year?
> Meanwhile, who was Stilpo? ( The person in Zeno's quotation you use.)
> Joanna
Joanna,
Stilpo was a Megarian, a student of Euclides (not that Euclides), who in turn was a teacher of Zeno of Citium, the founder of the Stoic school.  Crates, as far as I can tell, was a Cynic philosopher of Stilpo's circle that  I guess was trying to recruit Zeno away from Stilpo.  All this comes, of course, from Diogenes Laertius, the scandal sheet of late classical philosophy, so how reliable this is as history is an open question.
Better to look to Diogenes' treatment of Pyrrho to see if we can see evidence of Buddhist influence in Skepticsm?
 * * * * * * * * * ; ~ )      J a m e s   ( A n d y )   S t r o b l e           H o n o l u l u ,   H I
   h t t p : / / w w w 2 . h a w a i i . e d u / ~ s t r o b l e /
The right way to seize a philosopher. Crates, is by the ears: persuade me  then and drag me off by them; but if you use violence, my body will be with you, but my mind with Stilpo."  Zeno of Citium, Diogenes Laertius, VII:24