[Buddha-l] Natural Evil

Shiangtai Tuan shiangtai at alumni.duke.edu
Mon Apr 30 22:34:11 MDT 2007

I have not been reading this list faithfully,
have missed a lot (and a lot of fun, at that).  I
saw one message in this "subject" quite
interesting so started to read earlier
postings.  I would like to give my 2 cents on evil but first this:

At 03:25 PM 4/9/2007, Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

>Unless I'm very much mistaken, God IS in jail for life. There is no place to
>live but the universe, and every region of the universe is filled with pain
>and affliction. Just think what a prison this universe is. Everywhere you go
>there are exploding stars, toxic gases, high levels of radiation, black
>holes, It's worse than Guantánamo. And God has to be everywhere at once, so
>he can't escape these dangers even temporarily. To make matters worse, he has
>to listen to all these whining human beings ...

         Brilliant.  Thought I would just add a little:

         "Look at those happy fish, swimming swiftly in water."
         "You are not fish, how do you know these fish are happy?"
         "You are not I, how do you know I do not
know that fish are happy."  (retold material)

         You are not God, how do you know God has
to live in this Universe, has to bear the danger,
and has to suffer?  Christians said let there be
(created) an omnipotent God and therefore God is
omnipotent.  The Christian bible said the God
created the universe but it did not say it did
not create any other universe.  Since Christians
live in this universe just like the rest of the
people, they cannot tell if there are or are not
other universes.  (Before people learned about
other planets, they did not know there were
places equivalent to earth geographically.)  If I
were omnipotent, I would at least make three
universes.  This one, as you pointed out, is
nothing but suffering.  I would create another
one where there is nothing but enjoyment --
endless happiness and blissfulness.  Then I will
create another one.  In this one there is
absolutely no happiness and absolutely no
suffering.  There are, in fact, nothing but rocks
and Buddhists.  (I got that Trini-Universe idea
simply by reading your postings.  Your postings are truly inspiring.)

         Well, come to think of it, the Christian
God did create the parallel universe that is full
of happiness and hired some White House staff to
leak the information.  For no better name, the
Christians who heard about it through the
grapevines call it the heaven.  Some other
religion which name I will not name (for the name
that can be named is not the true name) went a
step further.  The leaders drugged some disciples
and put them under the care of Deborah Jeane
Palfrey (in DC) for a while.  When they woke up,
they were told they were in heaven.  The leaders
promise those people if they go do "good" deeds
and kill for the said leaders they could go to
heaven, even if they die  in the process of
killing.  Of course, their enemies condemn such
behavior as "evil".   (See, I finally got back to
the subject line, Good vs Evil, though this is not a very Natural evil.  :-)

Best Regards, Shiangtai