[Buddha-l] FW: Three year Research Associate, UK, Indian & Buddhist theories of self

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Thu Aug 2 20:22:50 MDT 2007

Joanna wrote:
> Doesn't hello mean "hail-O [you friend, kinsman, aso] ??
> Anybody got the dictionary of American slang? I long for a copy but they
> are
> very costly.

Hello -> Holla from French Ho là = Hey, there !

PS:  Japanese "aa sô" actually means something like a generally non-commital
"I see", "Oh really".  Don't you remember that Emperor Hirohito used to be
called "Emperor Aa sô" during the Pacific War years, because of his verbal
tic of murmuring that all the time ?  FYI "etcetera" in Japanese is "nado".

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge