[Buddha-l] sam harris at the aspen institute

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Aug 14 17:02:44 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 14 August 2007 16:03, curt wrote:

> The poor fellow seems to have
> some kind of bug up his arse. It must be very uncomfortable.

Why not ask someone who has had a similar bug about Stephen Batchelor?

Even many of us who agree with quite a bit of what Sam Harris says about the
institutional evils of religion find him tediously polemical. Thanks for the
link to his Aspen performance, but I may give it a miss. I'll wait until
Michael Moore makes a documentary about Harris.

For the past few days I have been enjoying a somewhat light but still
informative book by Richard Brookhiser called What Would the Founders Do? (I
ordered it on the mistaken assumption is was a how-to manual on building
foundries, but I like it anyway.) I learned the context of one of my favorite
quotes. Everyone knows that Jefferson (Thomas, not Airplane) said "I have
sworn on the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny
over the mind of man." What I learned from Brookhiser is that Jefferson said
this in a letter in which he first observed that the mobs of priests were
afraid of him. He then said something to the effect "The priests SHOULD be
afraid of me, because I have sworn...."

Anyone who terrrifies priests, bhikkhus, rabbis, imams, roshis and
dharmacharis (and recognizes them as forms of tyranny over the mind of man)
can't be all bad, even if he is tediously polemical. Harris is not nearly as
clever or articulate as Thomas (Jefferson, not Aquinas), but at least he is
doing the service of reminding a country deeply addicted to religion just
what a hideous drug religion can be.

Speaking of people who are tediously polemical, I have taken up a new hobby:
ranting and raving against Republican policies. I've been doing that on
buddha-l since the days of President George II, of course, but now I'm doing
it the way adolescents do it: on a blog site. If you get tired of my
cloyingly sweet Mr Nice persona here on buddha-l, give my blog a whirl.

--
Richard
http://dayamati.blogspot.com