[Buddha-l] (no subject)

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Aug 15 11:29:37 MDT 2007

I don't know of any reviews by either Buddhists or Buddhologists, but
you might try reading two other books by Williams: "Mahayana Buddhism"
which he wrote while apparently still "happily" a Buddhist, and compare
it to the book "Buddhist Thought", which he "co-authored" with Anthnony
Tribe (but Tribe actually only wrote the final chapter). The second book
was written while Williams was "in transit", so to speak, and the
differences between the two books are striking. In my opinion one can
clearly see (in "Buddhist Thought") that Williams had already decided
that Buddhism was inherently "nihilistic" (in a bad way).

I have found that pretty much anything written by Williams is well worth
reading - I also have (but have so far only skimmed) his little book on
"Buddha Nature" (right now I can't even remember the title). I even
liked "Buddhist Thought" very much, but that would not be a book I could
honestly recommend for its stated purpose, as a general high-level
introductory text for "Buddhist Studies" - simply because the book needs
some kind of disclaimer on it: "Warning! Author is a Recovering Buddhist".

- Curt