[Buddha-l] Publishing books (was Rain)

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Tue Aug 28 20:14:59 MDT 2007

On demand publishing is quite inexpensive. This is where the publisher stores a
PDF with an on-demand-printing service. When a book is ordered the order gers
re-directed or copied to the on-demand-printer who prints and binds however many
copies have been ordered overnight and ships the copies direct to the customer
or vendor the next morning. This is a more or less fully automated process.
Although the cost of printing an individual copy may be slightly higher, this
way there is no money tied up in printing 500 or a 1,000 copies and then waiting
perhaps years for the majority of the books to sell with all the overhead that
entails. You also avoid all the set up cost involved in offset printing (plate
making along with the substantial waste of paper, and amount of time involved in
getting the press set up properly for each job).

There may be limitations with some services - Typically you are limited to
specific page sizes, you may not be able to include colour plates and the cover
design may need be fairly simple. The publisher also has sometimes have to pay a
one time fee to the on demand printer for the set up for each book. All these
things are changing some odp services now offer full colour, hard binding, and
no set up charges.

You will notice quite a number of "respectable" publishers are now using this
type of service to make available books that were for years out of print. OUP
for one are doing this with their back list <http://www.oup.co.uk/booksellers/pod/>.
Some of more recent of the pricey publications from Brill and so on look to me
like they were printed using On Demand Printing equiptment - if so they are
pocketing a lot of cash.

I formatted a couple of books for the Tibet Information Network (TIN) who
publish all their books this way - these typically retail for under  £15 / $30
for a 200+ page book - and they make a profit. I can see no good reason for
academic books of a similar size to cost more.

If you're interested in this - check around carefully - there are now literally
hundreds of on demand printers and publishers.

So if you know how to use page layout software and create PDF files suitable for
professional printing it is easy enough to become a publisher  at very little
cost and no risk using one of these services. As long as you can get ISBN
numbers for your publications and get listed on Amazon you're away. The ODP
takes care of printing and shipping all the orders.

- Chris

P.S. DVDs are not a very good idea - the life span of DVDs is *much* less than
that of CDs - which we now know can have a lifespan of 25 years or so if little
used and well taken care of. This is for the kind of CD burnt and lacquered at a
factory- *not* the CDR's you burn in your computer which are still much better
than any DVD. I've noticed DVDs often start to fail even after only a year or
two of just sitting on the shelf. For important elecrtonic data I use only CDs
and DAT tape. Even these should be periodically re-copied to fresh media.