[Buddha-l] Re: buddha-l Digest, Vol 23, Issue 40

Stuart Lachs slachs at worldnet.att.net
Thu Feb 1 18:50:52 MST 2007

Elihu wrote:

Am familiar with Hakuun Yasutani feeling that he was
> articulating Dogen's true teaching. However, have not
> seen that he claimed to have Dharma Transmission from
> Dogen - even in a dream. Please, would you clarify and
> cite the source?

See Robert Sharf's paper "Sanbokyodan Zen and the Way of New Religions."
I may have been mistaken in my memory about a dream. I don't have time to
read the paper now.
However, Yasutani believed he received transmission from a dead man, Dogen.
Yasutani felt that he had a personal spiritual bond with Dogen, and
considered himself Dogen's
direct Dharma heir by virtue of his possession of the "true Dharma eye."

Stuart