[Buddha-l] Re: buddha-l Digest, Vol 24, Issue 2

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Mon Feb 5 23:49:38 MST 2007

>To me it sounds anachronistic to
>insist that "face-to-face" transmission excludes dream-transmission,
>because it sounds like a distinction is being made that would probably
>not have been made by Dogen or Keizan. In fact, unless one accepts a
>crudely materialistic view, having Dogen appear to you in a dream and
>give you Transmission could be seen as rather more impressive than
>receiving Transmission from someone alive right now. At the same time, I
>would tend to disbelieve someone who claimed to have received
>transmission from Dogen in a dream, but couldn't find a single living
>Master to do likewise.

I always translate (in my thoughts, not in my translations) transmission by inspiration and I am quite happy with that. It's the only "transmission" that seems to be possible to me. It spares me a lot of precious time figuring out stuff that seems pretty useless to me and that deals more with authority issues than with anything else.

Joy