[Buddha-l] Yogi with a cell phone

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Feb 19 11:48:49 MST 2007

Amused by this account, I wondered if Buddhist monks in Thailand are allowed
to have cell phones. Anybody know? I feel pretty sure they are allowed them
in China, land of hi-tech and rage for gadgetry.
Joanna

The mobile yogi

Sometimes one has to reach the peripheries, move out of the cities to
comprehend "change" as we speak of it in India. On one hand are the people,
unaffected by the economic boom, carrying on their daily toil, pretty much
in similar fashion from their granddad's time, and on the other, everything
has changed.
On our drive from Bangalore to Pondicherry we passed by a very old temple
town of Tiruvannamalai. It is a pilgrim town in Tamil Nadu and home to the
famous Arunachaleswara Temple. It has long been associated with many yogis
and siddhars (saints). Siddhars profess and practiced an unorthodox type of
Sadhana, or spiritual practice, to attain liberation.
As we drove past this town, my interest in matters spiritual being scant at
best, I saw a group of yogis sitting outside a small temple. One of them
suddenly reached into his bag and pulled out a mobile phone. I slammed the
brakes in my car and watched him as he had a leisurely chat on his gadget.
So this is the extent of our mobile revolution where a yogi who has
renounced the world can be sucked right back into it, if the attractions are
big enough.