[Buddha-l] Yogi with a cell phone

Chris Stanford, Ph.D. castanford at wb-university.org
Mon Feb 19 18:05:04 MST 2007

Monks in Thailand can have multiple (sometimes as many as four) mobiles
(what they call cell' phones in Thailand) in use at any one time. This is in
addition to the lap top computer with full internet connection ensconced
within their 'Kuti'. It all depends on their benifactors and the mood (and
wealth) of their Abbot.

Be aware that 'Monks in Thailand' is not a single concept. There exists a
wide range of practices and behaviors among institutionalized beggars in
that part of the world.

There are few technological wonders at the international Wat Pa Na Na Chat,
favoured by westerers, in Ubon, for example, while Wat Dhammakai, in Pratum
Thani has its own satelite TV station to broadcast its message..
-Chris
Monks are no more and no less than a cross section of (male) humanity.