[Buddha-l] Yogi with a cell phone

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Feb 21 20:39:47 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Piya Tan" <dharmafarer at gmail.com>

> There are numerous Pali suttas on this decline of the Sangha, not only
> spoken by the Buddha, but also by Maha Kassapa.
> under "Downloads B" at
> http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com
===========

Hello Piya,

 This thread got me thinking, always a dangerous condition, so what I write
here
is in two parts, A & B.
A.
I found the article on your website about the beginnings of the decline of
Buddhadharma, with the story of the rich merchant's son, Sudinna.
This story is instructive or provocative in a number of ways. My reading of
course is heterodox.
First, he had sex with his wife because of filial piety, i.e., to satisfy
hids parents' desire/request (seen as legitimate in householder circles) to
have an (no doubt male) heir, since he Sudinna had gone forth (--against
their wishes, but so did the Buddha.)
Vicente recently inquired about filial piety in (ancient or today's? wasn't
sure) India, as compared to the same in China. This story suggests to me a
clear conflict between the "filialness" expected by the Indian householder
parents of Sudinna, and the vows expected of monks by the sangha.
Still, Buddhist ethics (and Indian social dharma) said that children must
revere their parents. Thus, I don't see how the ethical conflicts in this
case can be reconciled, unless the dharma of the monk is to be revered above
the quotidian dharmic reverence for parents. (In India, ordinary folk use
the term dharma to refer to ethics as social laws as well as to mean
religious prescriptions.)
So I wonder and ask if, in the texts somewhere, the Buddha is said to be
like a mother. When I was in Thailand in 1985, I was told that brief
inscriptions under folk art paintings of the Buddha on truck headboards
addressed him (calling on him for protection) as Mother.  A Thai person told
me this, but as I don't read Thai I could not confirm it myself. If the
Buddha was considered then, as ordinary Indians today consider and address
powerful patrons/saviors/helpers--as "Maa-Baap", Mother-Father--perhaps this
usage is as ancient as the texts. If it had been common in those days, it
would serve to solve the householder/monk ethical conflicts just noted, by
transcending the householder
ethics level in favor of the sangha vows level, by turning the Buddha into a
parent --as Catholics do when they address a priest as Father.

B.
Second, his act is censured by the Buddha as bringing impurity into the
formerly pure sangha.

Third, his act is also, according to ancient and still in force folk
psychology, then said to be the cause of other monks breaking their vows as
well. The "monkey see, monkey do" metaphor, followed by the "rotten-apple
spoils the whole barrel" metaphor, are in full sway in this text. This
episode is then said to have been the occasion for the formation of the
patimokkha.

This view of the original charismatic liberator and his disciples contrasts
with, let's say, the Christian scenario. In that one, Jesus's disciples from
the start aren't pure, one betrays him, another denies him, etc......the
theology of the story requires the victim sacrifice of the liberator.
Monastic vows come much later in this history, and they seem to have
originated in a pragmatic sense of the flawed nature of men rather than in a
misdeed done by an impure man among wholly pure other men.
The early sangha before this "fall" is inhumanly  or unrealistically
pure--an ideal view rather than a pragmatic view, but the liberator, the
Buddha himself, unlike Jesus, is shown to be more complex, more rational,
than his hitherto ideal followers. Jesus seems fanatical, the Buddha
rational.

The Buddha judges the sin of Sudinna as inexorably causal ......while Jesus
forgives the sinners among his flock, although theology also comes up with
mystical characterizations of Jesus that are also inexorably causal for
believers (his flock and its descendents).
Drawing such a comparison as this one doesn't fully "work" in all
details-----but seems
to me somewhat persuasive.

But I may be just showing my ignorance. I hope our denizens will comment
further, pro or con or otherwise.
Joanna