[Buddha-l] Re: Filtered Buddhism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Jul 5 10:31:31 MDT 2007

On Thursday 05 July 2007 06:38, Espen S. Ore wrote:

> Richard Hayes skrev:

I don't recall screving anyone. Perhaps the Bush administration is wearing off
on me. They don't recall anything they have done or said either, especially
when testifying under oath (if one can even get them to do that). But even
before beginning, I seem to have digressed.

> So does this Japanese clone-style work? For me it does. There are other
> zen groups in Oslo which explicitely wish to follow Western (or
> Northern) European customes and languages, and I believe that people
> join the group which works for them.

That really seems the only sensible way to do things, namely, to have a
healthy variety of styles and to let people find the styles that work best
for them at any particular phase of their development.

In the 1980s, I was a representative of Samu Sunim's outfit to the Buddhist
Council of Canada. (Actually, it was just a Buddhist council of Toronto, but
Toronto mistakenly thinks it IS Canada. Again, I digress.) The Buddhist
Council comprised all the Buddhist outfits in the greater Toronto
metropolitan area and therefore had a wonderful variety of lokas (ethnic
groups), yanas and nikayas. Every year there was a Wesak celebration (a major
part of which was a ritual hand-wringing discussion of whether calling it
Wesak instead of Buddha's birthday was privileging Theravadins and offending
Mahayanis). The best part of Wesak for me was watching and listening to all
the monks, nuns and lay practitioners chanting or droning or singing in
Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Lao, Burmese, Sinhala, Pali,
Sanskrit, Tibetan, English and French and doing prostrations in more ways
than I ever dreamed possible. It always filled my heart with joy to see that
so many people had obviously found something that spoke to their particular
condition and were so obviously flourishing in their style. It never seems to
have occurred to anyone in those days to look at anyone else's practice as
deficient or substandard.

Alas, everything is impermanent, even good things. The Buddhist Council
underwent a series of crises in the 1990s. Some monks became unhappy with the
Council because too many lay people were helping make important decisions.
Some monks were outraged that lay people in some groups were leading the
chanting. One particularly aggressive monk felt it was inappropriate for
women to have full representation on the Council (although he didn't seem to
mind all the wonderful food they prepared for Buddhist fiestas). This
discomfort with women was ostensibly part of the monk-lay issue, since the
excuse given for barring women was that women in some traditions could not be
fully ordained and were therefore nothing much better than laity in drag. It
was so disheartening to see a once-beautiful celebration of Buddhist
ecumenism and pluralism turn into a battleground over authority and proper
protocol. It was disheartening in all the same ways it is disheartening to be
a human being or an American or perhaps even a Norwegian.

Thanks for your message, Espen S. Ore. It inspired me, as a result of which I
screv my heart out.

--
Richard P. Hayes