[Buddha-l] Can Buddhists quit smoking?

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Jul 7 13:59:23 MDT 2007

"The smoke also has agents similar to hashish."

Hmm--like what? Powdered maryjane? Powderedopium?

Joanna
====================================

Where there is smoke, there's fire.
Asia is a big continent and it's difficult to say things that hold up in
every part. The Tibetans in general don't seem to object to inhaling incense
and even use it for medical purposes. I remember one particular case when a
room was deliberately clouded with incense and the lama's seemed to enjoy
it. The smoke also has agents similar to hashish. The function of incense in
Thailand and China seems to me however purely ritual, so I guess it doesn't
hurt to go easy on the stuff.
In European churches the stench to be hidden was not so much from the living
but mainly from the fresh graves of rich people who were buried inside the
church.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950