[Buddha-l] [Fwd: [skepnet] Documentaire: Jesus Camp (2006)]

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Sun Jul 8 05:55:45 MDT 2007

Chris,

>As you know the Tibetans have organized nearly 30 large Kalachakra
>empowerments by the Dalai Lama both in India and the west and many of these
>these are attended on the scale of large rock festivals.  There can be few
>Tibetans living in India or overseas who have not attended at least one of
>these. (The only one I went to was held at Bodh Gaya in 1974)
>The Dalai Lama does give a description of the visualization for the
>initiation, the "history" of these teachings and some basic teachings - it
>would take years to go into the doctrines and practices in any depth.
>
>While most Tibetans have attended these gatherings I guess there are only a
>small handful from amongst the many thousands who attending any one of  these
>gatherings who seriously take up the study and practice - IOW a tiny minority.
>There will be a somewhat larger number who take up reading the short Kalacakra
>sadhana daily.

I received it once in the beginning of the eighties and printed the little booklet explaining the history, procedure etc. For the Tibetan and Bhutanese lamas we prepared the booklet with it was new. We also published the text of a daily Kalacakra practice and the longer ganackara version.  If I remember right, this practice was thought specifically suitable for being taught in the Kali-yuga and in the West and was going to become the main practice. But perhaps due to its complexity it never really took off.

>There are a of course few lamas in different Tibetan traditions
>who have specialized in these teachings - but I think these are
>a fairly small and select group who don't have that many serious
>students. (Unusually Ju Mipham (a Nyingmapa) seems to have been
>particularly interested in Kalacakra and wrote a very extensive
>commentary.)

There seems to be a Sakya (ngor) lama in France who considers it his main teaching too.

>With Tibet under Chinese occupation the myth of the armies
>of Shambhala eventually defeating the barbarians undoubtedly
>does now strike a chord in the minds of members of the Tibetan
>diaspora. Kalacakra also seems to be very attractive to western
>followers of Tibetan Buddhism - maybe because these teachings
>portrayed as the "highest" Tantric teaching & initiation and
>because it is so closely associated with the Dalai Lama.

When it was first given in France, nobody knew it. It wasn't popular. As I said, it was thought particularly suitable for Westerners by the Tibetan lamas. Perhaps because they think we have active minds and like thinking a lot. The fact that it caused huge gatherings with high lamas and the buzz created around must have made it attractive to Westerners. It is probably due to the idea that in Kali-yuga teachings seem to have to become more emotion high and distraction rich. As I see it, we need more simplicity, silence etc.  and I think these elements will have a far bigger impact.

>As for Tibetans reading the texts - there hundreds of thousands of
>rarely read Tibetan texts - why should Kalacakra texts, which form
>a only small part of these, receive particular attention?

I don't know because monks are professionals and read professional litterature? :-)

>Being such a particularly complex set of teachings I suspect
>even the more literate Tibetans would find a difficulties
>making much sense of them without years and years of study.
>
>BTW on popular Buddhist 'cults' one which is
>currently gaining a large and very devoted following
>amongst lay Buddhist practitioners here in Bhutan is
>the practice of chod from Dudjom Lingpa's tradition
>centered on the deity Troma Nagmo- who is identified
>with Yeshe Tsogyal.  There are large groups of lay
>practitioners in almost every district of of Bhutan
>who meet regularly to do this practice - everyone dressing
>up in red robes with their own bell, drum and thigh bone trumpet.

It's pretty spectacular and the melodies very nice.

>A couple of weekends ago I went to Dra Karpo in Paro
>and there was a group of well over 600 there (all from
>the Paro area) performing this practice - quite impressive.

I wonder whether it is as efficient with 600 as on one's own in a cremation ground. ;-)

Joy