[Buddha-l] Suffering Vs. Joy and Happiness in Buddhism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Jul 23 11:43:27 MDT 2007

On Sunday 22 July 2007 12:13, Katherine Masis wrote:

>  But what about joy and happiness?  Don't they have a
> part to play in Buddhism as well?

You may want to take a look at Steve Collins's Nirvana and Other Buddhist
Felicities (Cambridge University Press, 1998). The book explores, as Collins
puts it, all the Buddhist ways of being happy. He explores not only
individual happiness and well-being but social well-being (that is, Buddhist
notions of Utopia).

If you are not among those who feel obliged to smirk and snicker at
Sangharakshita, he has written two thoughtful books that might also bear on
your theme. One is Ritual and Devotion in Buddhism (Windhorse 1995), and the
other is In the Realm  of the Lotus: A conversation about art, beauty and the
spiritual life (Windhorse 1995). Both explore, although in different ways,
the important role of various forms of joy and pleasure in the Buddhist path.
Unlike Collins, who explores mostly the Theravada tradition, Sangharakshita
looks at things from a more Mahayana perspective.

Last week I stumbled upon a poll survey (which I did not bookmark and cannot
now find) that stated that the single feature that Americans most seek in
their choice of a place to worship is joy. Joy trumps inspiration, advice on
how to live a good life and companionship with people of seimilar beliefs. As
I recall, the survey polled on Christians. It would be interesting to see
whether results would be different if Buddhists, Hindus, Jews and Muslims
were polled.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy