[Buddha-l] Tovanna: Insight meditation in Israel

Graeme Lyall AM lyallg at zipworld.com.au
Sat Jul 28 07:15:30 MDT 2007

Dear List,
Some friends of mine in Israel who run Bhavana House in Tel Aviv were
interested enough to forward the following information in response to my
forwarding your post.
"Stephen Fulder is a good friend, and for the last five years he teaches
regularly at Bhavana House. The post from Buddha-L confuses between two
groups that Stephen initiated: Tovana (meaning Insight in Hebrew) organizes
2-8 days retreats, most of them led by Israeli teachers and some by foreign
teachers (Stephen Batchelor visited Israel only twice, not as  mentioned in
the post). Their senior teacher and source of inspiration is Christopher
Titmus, and if you know him you can understand the spirit of the group. The
other group is Middle Way, and though there is some overlap between the
participants, it is not a Buddhist group in its essence. This group has
really beautiful peace activities, though (according to my impression) most
of the people taking part are Israeli Jews, while the Israeli Arabs are a
minority. There is a third group that Stephen initiated that was not
mentioned in the post, Akoda. This peace learning community has a study
group that met regularly at Bhavana House for the last three years."

Graeme Lyall AM
President - Amitabha Buddhist Association of New South Wales
President - University Buddhist Education Foundation
Member - Executive Council of the World Fellowship of Buddhists
WEBSITE: http://www.buddhismaustralia.org
Please visit my website!!!