[Buddha-l] Pure Conversation vs koan

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Jul 30 12:58:27 MDT 2007

This is pretty interesting - even to someone who knows no Chinese, like
myself. I believe that Steven Heine has stated that one of the truly
innovative things about "koans" is that they provide genuine "dialogs"
in which the words of both a student and a master are given - rather
than just those of the master (of course in many koans it's much more
complex than that). I think this is in his book "The Koan". At any rate,
any precedent for truly "dialogic" forms of literature would seem to be
quite important to people interested in the development of koans.

I recently read (somewhere....) that Indian philosophers have made use
of dialog formats not unlike those of Plato (and other Greeks). Does
anyone know if this is true (sorry if this is a dumb and/or obvious
question)?

One last question - it looks like "qing tan" means (roughly) "pure
conversation"? This sounds like a potentially useful alernative to the
term "koan", which many people find off-putting.

- Curt