[Buddha-l] philosophical (as opposed to agnostical) buddhism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Jun 1 14:28:42 MDT 2007

Since I have been taking pot-shots at Agnostic Buddhism - I'll briefly
outline a positive alternative.

1. First off, there seem to be two primary motivations behind the idea
of "Agnostic Buddhism":

(a) a wish to express Buddhist teachings in a way that is compatible
with western culture.
(b) a wish to emphasize the freedom to exercise one's own judgment, as
opposed to merely accepting the pronouncements of authority figures.

2. "Agnostic" as an adjective modifying "buddhism" does meet these
criteria - but in my opinion it is unnecessarily (and misleadingly)
restrictive.

3. In western culture the activity of inquiring into "big questions",
such as "how should I live my life?" (which is the one question that
really matters), has historically gone under the name of "philosophy".
In fact, T.H. Huxley, who coined the term "agnostic" is usually
identified as "a biologist and a philosopher" NOT as "a biologist and an
agnostic."

4. The adjective "philosophical" is indigenous to western culture (in
fact it is often thought to be one of greatest achievements of that
culture), and also strongly denotes free and unfettered inquiry.
Therefore, it clearly meets the two criteria above. "Skepticism" is a
very specific school of philosophy (well, actually, *two* schools) - and
it has absolutely no monopoly on free and unfettered inquiry - and it is
no more "western" than any other school of western philosophy.
"Agnosticism" is a modern form of philosophical skepticism - although it
lacks the coherence and rigor of the Academic and Pyrrohnist schools.

5. The reason that Agnostic Buddhism has been proposed (as opposed to
something broader like "philosophical buddhism") appears to be (to me)
that while "philosophical" fits the two criteria above, it fails to
conform to a third criterion:
(c) a wish to reject all things "religious".

6. Philosophy *as a whole* has always been compatible with religion *in
general*. But Batchelor feels that it is essential dispense with
everything "religious" - although he unable to express what he means by
"religion" - beyond a hamfisted caricature (which appears to be derived
from hackneyed Victorian polemics against the more odious aspects of
Christianity).

7. To reiterate, with respect to criteria (a) and (b) above: philosophy
has much deeper roots in western culture than agnosticism - and much
broader roots than mere skepticism. And the *activity* of philosophy is
nothing other than the unfettered exercise of one's very own inquiring
mind.

8. Rather than artificially exaggerating the cultural differences
between "east" and "west" - "philosophical buddhism" would emphasize
significant common ground that bridges east and west. It would also
avoid being a sectarian label - because *all* Buddhist teachers of all
schools are, in fact, "philosophers." Of course philosophical buddhism
would also include skeptical and/or agnostic - and even secular buddhisms.

9. The adjective "philosophical" does not exclude things "religious",
"mystical" or even "dogmatic". But it certainly allows for (indeed
demands) a vigorous examination and critique all things "religious", etc
(as well all things not "religious" for that matter). Anyone familiar
with Plato and Plotinus knows that a wide variety of religious, mystical
and even (at least superficially) "dogmatic" ideas can be incorporated
into "philosophy".

10. The people who first called themselves "philosophers" were also the
first people to call themselves "cosmopolitans" - literally, "citizens
of the Cosmos". While these "philosophers" are often thought of (and
often rightly so) as "Greek" - they were in fact intensely interested in
the ideas, especially the religious ideas, of non-Greek peoples. This
was especially true with respect to Egypt, Persia - and India. Many
philosophers, including Plato and Plotinus, expressed the opinion that
what we would today call "the spiritual traditions of the east" predated
and presaged "Greek philosophy".

11. Many schools of Greek philosophy included conceptions of rebirth and
even something like "karma" - at least in the sense that successive
"births" are influenced by one's actions in previous "births". As
fascinating as such parallels are, as far as "philosophical buddhism"
goes they simply demonstrate that the "common ground" spoken of in point
8 above is not merely wishful thinking - they do not imply, necessarily,
any deeper connection between eastern and western philosophy.

- Curt