[Buddha-l] Back to the core values?

James A Stroble stroble at hawaii.edu
Tue Jun 12 22:36:11 MDT 2007

On Monday 11 June 2007 06:46, curt wrote:
> James A. Stroble wrote:
> > .... Batchelor contrasts the political milleu Buddhism has co-existed
<snip>

> I think that an objective, hard-nosed look at western culture over the
> last 500 years would not support any contention that "we" have some
> clear superiority in terms of "political ideals".
<abridgment>

Well, yes, this is obvious.  But we are talking about ideals here, not actual
history.  The ideals of the American Revolution are not impinged, however, by
the fact that the liberties were only, at the time, actually granted to
property-holding free white males. The hypocrisy belongs to the people
implementing the ideas, not to the ideals themselves. I don't know if this
objection touches Batchelor's point.

> Buddhists, of all people, should refrain from blindly accepting mere
> usage of words like democracy and freedom with the real thing.
>
> As far as "pre-modern Asians" coming "face to face" with our "liberal
> traditions", well, Europeans began "visiting" the Indian subcontinent
> around the same time those good Christians first started exporting
> democracy to the "New World". By the 17th century Buddhists, Hindus and
> other interested parties had been introduced to the wonders of the
> artillery fusillade, Trinitarianism, and the Auto de fe. When was the
> curriculum for this "course of instruction" in western values updated?
> Was it before or after the Nazi holocaust, and the atom bombing of
> Hiroshima and Nagasaki? If it was after - then this is a very recent
> change of tune - if before it is difficult to take seriously.
>
> - Curt

Again, we are not talking "whiteman's burden" here, but the claim that
Batchelor makes that liberation should be both personal and political.  Quite
obviously, even if western powers mouthed such ideology, the did little to
bring it about, and even worked to the contrary.   But the discussion here
(or am I conflating two completely different threads?) started with the
concept of karma, and the use of karma to justify political oppression, even
if passively.  The christian corrolary would be the doctrine of
predestination.  What is interesting is whether things like socially-engaged
Buddhism are a purely western Buddhist phenomena.  We could go around and
around about the liberatory influence of religion East and West, but the
question still remains, are the critiques of Victoria and Batchelor
justified?  Otherwise we will be left with pot: kettle, black.

--
James Andy Stroble
University of Hawai'i, Leeward Community College