[Buddha-l] the 22 vows

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 16 13:08:05 MDT 2007

Gang,

I can well understand (or at least I *think* I can, being the white
Anglo-Saxon Protestant-Buddhist male that I am) how Dalits would
desperately want to repudiate the strictures that traditional Hinduism
imposes on them in India. But--no matter how oppressed the Dalits
are--my particular sect of Protestant Buddhism just won't let me accept
or support their calling the Hindu appropriation of Buddha "sheer
madness and false propaganda." Sounds like something Christopher
Hitchens would say. I enjoy listening to Hitchens as much as the next
person, but such words are not sammā vacā. And now Sherab tells us they
believe in some kind of atman as well?

It bothers me that Buddhism in the land of the Buddha should at last be
reborn... and should be reborn like this. Yet I trust Sherab and
Joanna--who have seen this living Buddhism--if they say it reduces
suffering. That is the bottom line; I should let go of my dogmatism.
Ah, those stubborn Protestant roots!

Franz