[Buddha-l] the 22 vows

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Jun 16 14:50:12 MDT 2007

Is there some assumption that these poor devils are incapable of
understanding such a complex concept as religious tolerance?? Dalit
Buddhists have not always renounced Hinduism in this sectarian way. In
the early days of the modern Buddhist revival in India, Buddhists in
India were more likely to claim that Buddhism and Hinduism were both
parts of the Sanatana Dharma, and Dalit Buddhists allied themselves with
anti-caste Hindus, such as the Arya Samaj. People like Olcott and Carus
were directly involved in this early stage of the movement.

I don't know the full story - and I imagine there are multiple versions,
but for whatever reason Ambedkar insisted on the rabidly anti-Hindu
stance that today characterizes his wing of the movement.

The origins of the modern Buddhist revival in India are largely due to
the work of Anagarika Dharmapala, whose Maha Bodhi Society encouraged
both Buddhists and Hindus to see their religions as vital parts of
India's rich cultural heritage. As far as I can tell, to this day the
Maha Bodhi society promotes the revival of Buddhism in India without any
need to resort to bombastic sectarianism.

Personally I can see no convincing reason to turn a blind eye to this. I
mean one could see specifically renouncing the caste system. One could
easily see calling the caste system a perversion of the true spirit of
Hinduism and of the Sanatana Dharma. But to go out of one's way, over
and over again - to list specific Gods and practices one by one - and
then to add that ALL other religions must also be renounced for the one
true religion of Buddhism??????? And all this while there are others
active in India promoting the revival of Buddhism in a completely
non-sectarian way, too.

Finally, where people wish to see an alleviation of suffering, they can
easily see it.

- Curt