[Buddha-l] Buddhism, the second largest religion in the world

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Mar 1 09:46:51 MST 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 18:53, Vicente Gonzalez wrote:

> maybe, but the question arises when one thinks in Taiwanese Buddhist
> are 93% population. Today Buddhism grows quickly in China.
> I ignore the real numbers. Just I wonder if really the Chinese people
> of mainland they must have a different picture for a close future (or
> maybe already now) than those of the island.

This reminds me of a question my father once asked: "How many people do you
suppose a person my age has met in his lifetime?" Sounds like a reasonable
enough question, but then when you stop to figure out what counts as having
met someone, it gets complicated. Does exchanging a greeting with someone in
an elevator count? Does exchanging an e-mail with someone count? Does seeing
the same person every morning at the bus stop and exchanging an occasional
smile count? Must one be formally introduced to someone to have them count as
someone one has met? If so, do you remember who formally introduced you to
your mother?

Now in a similar way, the question of who counts as a Buddhist is perhaps even
more complicated. (Over on the Unitarian-Universalist Buddhist Fellowship
list, people agonize at some length about who gets to say truthfully "I am a
Buddhist.") In the final analysis, I think any attempt to put a figure, even
a very approximate one, on the world's Buddhist population is an exercise in
futility. Almost always such attempts to do so represent some sort of
political agenda.

For example, the point of the Vipassana Foundation web site seems to be to
claim that Buddhism has at least as many followers as Christianity and Islam.
Therefore, Buddhism is not (contrary to what many people say) a religion with
a bright past but a dim future; au contraire, it is the way of the future.
That claim may make some people feel good, but is it true? Is it even a
meaningful claim?

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy