[Buddha-l] Buddhism,the second largest religion in the world

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Mar 1 19:41:15 MST 2007

Joanna Kirkpatrick writes:

>Speaking an an anthropologist, I agree with what Vicente has said here.
>The "counting: system is quite flawed.

Yes, the counting methods on the Vipassana Foundation website are
flawed, or at least rest on questionable assumptions. There is another
website with quite different statistics.
http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html claims that the
total number of Buddhists in the
world is around 376,000,000 (about 6% of the world's population).  For
the sake of comparison, the total number of Christians is estimated to
be 2,100,000,000 (33% of the world's population), Muslims 1,300,000
(21%), Hindus 900,000,000 (14%), and Jews 14,000,000 (0.21%). The number
of people claiming to have no religion or to be
atheists comes to about 16% of the world's population. I have no idea
what assumptions are being made here, but the figures are close to those
published in a United Nations source a few years ago.

Richard