[Buddha-l] Buddhism, the second largest religion in the world

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Mar 2 16:02:25 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vicente Gonzalez" <vicen.bcn at gmail.com>

 >..... I think the same. In example, in an official paper of the USA gov in
> 2002: http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/irf/2002/13870.htm
================================
Looking at this link, what I found supports other speculations
mooted so far,  is "...it is difficult to estimate accurately the number
of Buddhists because they do not have congregational memberships and often
do not participate in public ceremonies."

"...Buddhists make up the largest body of organized religious believers. The
Government estimates that there are more than 100 million Buddhists, most of
whom are from the dominant Han ethnic group. However, it is difficult to
estimate accurately the number of Buddhists because they do not have
congregational memberships and often do not participate in public
ceremonies. The Government reports that there are 16,000 Buddhist temples
and monasteries and more than 320,000 nuns and monks."
I wonder if the above also includes the Buddhist Dai minority in
Sipsongpanna.

Joanna