[Buddha-l] Buddhism, the second largest religion in the world

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 2 15:52:50 MST 2007

Joanna,

>  >>JK. Based on the kinds of questions census forms ask, this type of
>>>material
>>>would be quite unreliable in the case of this topic.
>
>>  I am not sure what you mean. I would take the view that we should respect
>>  people's answers. Why do you think they are particularly unreliable ?
>
>  JK. You misunderstood my point: I was referring to the questions, i.e., how
>they are written, not to people's answers. I'm not the only social scientist
>who's objected to the way some census questions are phrased, but don't ask
>for examples. I've no census form with me right now.

I didn't put that very well. I did indeed mean to ask about the
questions - not in general but as regards the specific issue of
asking people what religion they claim to belong to. Obviously, it is
possible to load any question. But a fairly simple question should
give some sort of idea. I would not claim that that is very accurate.
But it is still better than any of the alternatives.

Lance Cousins