[Buddha-l] Buddhism, the second largest religion in the world

David S vipassana8123 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 17:03:35 MST 2007

Richard wrote:

  It turns out that about 75% of the students got enough points to be a Buddhist or "have compatible views with the principles of Buddhism." (Interestingly enough, one student who is a member of a local Buddhist outfit did NOT have enough points to qualify as a Buddhist. Should I send him to someone for more effective brainwashing than he is getting at his local Buddhist laundromat?)

  I am happy to see you liked my little quiz so much that  you gave it to your class.  I have also heard from some that feel that it is easy for someone to score high on that test.  I have also heard from a few who said it is difficult to score above 3.  The ones who could not score above 3 were fundamentalist type Christians.  In one of your earlier posts you said that you could not score high on this quiz.  Perhaps that is why you are so quick to find fault, because you felt "left out" in not being counted as Buddhist.  Don't take the quiz so seriously, it is just a fun game that one can choose to participate in or not.  It does not rule out anyone from being a Buddhist.

  I am not sure why you chose the example of a Buddhist not scoring high on it and sarcastically suggesting that he need more brainwashing at the "laundromat."  The racist slur aside, Buddhism is not about "brainwashing" and many consider it to be a method of actually "de-hypnosis" from the ego games we sometimes play, such as finding trivial fault in others instead of pursuing the real issues.

  Nearly all Buddhists who have taken the test have scored 7 to the maximum of 9.  You can see the current numbers and percentages at the site.  But don't take it too seriously, it is obviously an unscientific game, meaning no harm.

  Richard wrote:

  The wisest response of all to the claim that Buddhism is the second largest religion in the world came from the buddha-l denizen who said "So what?"

  Exactly.  Then no need to bicker.  Notice the statement at the end of the statistics at my site, which you chose not to quote:

  The current number of Buddhists is therefore, nearly 1.7 billion which places it nearly equal with each of the two largest religions of Christianity and Islam. It is important to know the true number to provide an accurate history and to know that we are not “alone” in our thinking and our practice. What we really strive for is not more Buddhists, but more “buddhas” (enlightened ones) so that we can have true peace inside and for the world.

  David Snyder, Ph.D.