[Buddha-l] Buddhism, the third largest religion in the world

David S vipassana8123 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 11:46:36 MDT 2007

>Richard wrote:
  >Not that many Vipassana sites these days have a get-rich-quick-by-speculating-in-real->estate page. Unfortunately, I am 62 years old and love my job and therefore have no >aspirations to retire at the age of 40. But by golly for those serious meditators who DO >want to get rich quick and retire at age 40, I'm glad you showed them the Way. Indeed, I >think yours is one of the best Vipassana-inspired Real Estate speculation sites coming >out of Las Vegas, NV.

  Hi Richard, all,

  That retirement page is not at the site, it is just piggy-backing off the web hosting. Friends and family insisted that I write such a book about my story and I gave them copies and did not put much effort beyond that in getting it published. It is not a page for meditators to learn how to get rich quick, as you sarcasm suggests. It is for all who are interested, if I had pursued it and advertised it, which I do not. There is no link to that page at my 9 websites. Since I “own” these websites, there is no charge to me to advertise with a link, but I have chosen not to do so. It actually took some good sleuthing on your part to even find that page since my dharma websites do not have any links to that page.

  People do not want to hear that success and riches take loads of persistence, determination, and hard work. They want to hear that it can come easily or that all you need to do is just “think about it” ala “The Secret.” In that bestseller and dvd, the instructions apparently say that you just think about your success and you will head into that direction. It places very little emphasis on actually doing some actions to make the success happen.

  Fortunately, my dharma books have been much more successful than my retirement book since I have left the retirement manuscript beyond the back-burner. I am glad you like your work. I know many who would rather die than retire. I have a distant relative who is a federal judge and is still working at the age of 92. My wife and I enjoy our retirement for dharma practice, dharma groups, prison dharma programs, correspondence with Buddhist inmates, traveling, and other charitable activities.

  I see from the net that you have also written a dharma book and see that we share an interest in profit-free dharma. I like the photo of the building on the front cover (Empire State Building, I think).

  I like one of your quotes shown on your UNM profile:

  “Avoid hurtful criticism and provocative language. Do not allow the strength of your convictions to betray you into making statements or allegations that are unfair or untrue.”

  >Richard wrote:
  >(Welcome again to buddha-l, Dr Snyder.

  Thanks, . . . I think.

  David N. Snyder, Ph.D.