[Buddha-l] The passing of Samdech Preah Maha Ghosananda

Michael Wilson mjw2000 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 18:01:15 MDT 2007

> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 15:44, Jamie Hubbard wrote:
>
> > Samdech Preah Maha Ghosananda, one of the amazing spiritual leaders of
> > our times, passed on the morning of Monday, March 13, 2007 in
> > Northampton, Massachusetts.
>
> It was sad to see this news upon returning from a blissful five-day
> respite
> from e-mail. Venerable Mahaghosananda was one of those people whose
> demeanor
> and presence gives one great confidence in the dharma. I was fortunate
> enough
> to do two weekend-long mini-retreats with him, one on vipassana and the
> other
> on the brahma-viharas. His twinkling eyes and his gentle sense of humor
> were
> unforgettable.
>
> Once Ven. Mahaghosanda came to Toronto for a few days.

I wonder if I was at the same weekend with him as you were?  Mahaghosananda
gave a weekend talk at Gaden Choling Mahayana Buddhist Meditation centre in
Toronto, the seat of Ven. Zazep Tulku Rinpoche.   I was very impressed by
the fact that he seemed to radiate a lot of light and human presence.  For
some reason I remember his French was excellent, but I can't actually recall
what language he gave the talk in.

My favorite story about Ven. Mahaghosananda is about his meeting with Pope
> John Paul (a well-known Catholic leader). The Vatican officials carefully
> instructed Ven. Mahaghosananda on the protocols involved in greeting the
> Pope. The venerable sir listened attentively to all the details of how to
> enter the room, how to walk, where to stop, what to say and so forth. When
> he
> was finally taken to the room where the Pope was receiving visitors, the
> Buddhist monk, who stood no more than about 152cm tall (about 5'0''), ran
> across the room with his arms wide open and gave the pontiff a huge
> bearhug.
> The Pope was reportedly delighted to get such a warm and heartfelt
> greeting.

I also recall that this weekend retreat in Toronto was just days before
Mahaghosananda was going to go to Cambodia to meet Pope John Paul to give
him a guided tour of the holocaust memorial.

Michael J. Wilson

Thanks for sending this news on, Jamie. I'm sure all of you in the