[Buddha-l] New Buddhist Institute

Blumenthal, James james.blumenthal at oregonstate.edu
Thu Mar 22 22:54:10 MDT 2007

I have been asked to forward the following announcement from Maitripa Institute, a new Buddhist institute in Portland, Oregon, USA.  Being that I am teaching night classes in Tibetan language and Buddhist Intellectual History there, I think it is a pretty exciting new development.  Please forward this announcement to any of your undergrads who may be interested in further Buddhist Studies after graduation.  Maitripa is currently accepting applications for admission for the Fall of 2007.
Thanks,
Jim Blumenthal
P.S. Apologies for cross-posting.

James Blumenthal, Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy
Oregon State University
102-A Hovland Hall
Corvallis, OR 97213
USA

Maitripa Institute's Advanced Buddhist Studies Program Now Accepting
Applications

Maitripa Institute is currently accepting applications for the next
cohort of its Advanced Buddhist Studies program, beginning Fall 2007.
Located in Portland, Oregon, Maitripa offers a three-year
graduate-level program that combines rigorous academic study with
meditation and community service requirements, to offer a superior,
integrated education in Buddhist Studies.

Now in its third semester of operation, Maitripa Institute's Advanced
Buddhist Studies Program is developing its infrastructure with the
goal of becoming among the first Buddhist universities in America. The
institute currently has nearly 20 full-time students enrolled in its
Buddhist Studies program.

The program is particularly geared toward students seeking an in-depth
and critical understanding of Buddhist thought in the context of both
traditional and academic scholarship, meditative experience of the
path, and training in integrating Buddhist principles into active
service in their communities.

Maitripa's innovative curriculum is designed & guided by Yangsi
Rinpoche. A student of UW-Madison Professor Emeritus Geshe Lhundub
Sopa, Yangsi Rinpoche is a Tibetan scholar and lharam geshe with years
of experience teaching in North America and Europe.

See www.maitripa.org for more information and application materials.