[Buddha-l] Genetics

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Mar 24 09:35:45 MDT 2007

On Saturday 24 March 2007 03:48, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> maybe this has come up before, but my memory  falls short. Has anyone
> ever seen Buddhist comments on the does and don'ts of genetic manipulation?

Ron Epstein (a former denizen of this very buddha-hell)  has written quite a
lot on GMO (genetically modified organisms) in the food chain. A sample of
his work can be found here:

http://online.sfsu.edu/~rone/GEessays/BuddhismH.htm

You can scare up others by typing "GMO Buddhism" in Google (the poor man's
substitute for education).

I am not sure what kind of genetic manipulation you are asking about, Erik.
Perhaps you are more interested in human eugenics than in GMO.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy