[Buddha-l] Buddhist scriptural literalism

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 00:49:41 MDT 2007

L.S.,

Of course that should have been the Mahavamsa in my referral to the
Sinhalese...

Why I ask this question has to do with the growing tensions in Thailand
between Buddhists and Muslims. It's not hard to imagine that some
high-placed phra's will urge followers to hold on close to the Dhamma,
perhaps finding some Canonical metaphors to be understood literally as to
take a more extremist position against Muslims. 'Cutting off defilements,
struggling to overcome unwholesome tendencies' can be taken literally
against some people if you think about it.

It seems to come quite naturally that people become more 'radical' whenever
they or their beliefs become threatened. It's already happening with
Christians in the US. Recently the Pope, that European living fossil
of mythology, has reemphasized the 'christianity' of Europe. Apart from this
being a genetic fallacy, he urges christianity to be more present in
politcal debate. Do we witness similar stuff in Buddhist countries?

And what about cosmogony? Are there Buddhists who follow the Brahminical
tradition literally?

Greetings,

Stefan