[Buddha-l] Natural Evil

Shiangtai Tuan shiangtai at alumni.duke.edu
Tue May 1 19:49:39 MDT 2007

Dear Buddha-l-owner:

         You wrote:

"Your message seems to be incomplete, stopping in the middle of a
sentence. Do you wish to send a completed version?"

         I checked and made modification to the ending.  I hope it is
less confusing now.

         Thank you for running this list and I do enjoy your
postings.  I feel I have learn a lot from them.
Thank you.

Yours, Shiangtai

===================================

>....  Here, though, the notion is counterintuitive for most people
>who haven't studied various philosophies.

Hi,
         I am in this category.  So, ignore the following if you wish.

         The universe is there.  We can only understand it with our
ability of recognize or interpret it.  Since the lowest level of
understanding is to assign a yes/no answer (binary, if you want a
fancy term) people start to evaluate things by up/down, white/black,
forward/back, right/wrong, good/evil, big/small,
family-size/economy-size, full/empty, yin/yang ...  The next step is
to associate those on one side of the "/" sign together.  So, up,
forward, big, full ... are good and right.

         The real universe is not two dimensional.  Black is not the
opposite of white.  The lack of black is not white and the lack of
white is not black either.  (In Chinese opera, you put white powder
on to make the face white, you put black on to make face black.  You
put other color on for other color or pattern.)
         There are time one needs to go forward and there are times
for going back.  There should be no value judgement.
         Yin and yang are the two different tendencies neither is to
be rejected.  To fine tune the situation one can go to the division
of 4, 8, 64, 128 ... combinations.

         A break: There are two kinds of people: one kind divide
people in two kinds and the other kind do not.

         Of those many ways of making division, I think there are
mainly three big category.
         There are those objective divisions like color, direction ...
         There are those by convention.  Let's put right and wrong in here.
         In my understanding it is easy to illustrate the definition
of right vs wrong: Go forth at green light is right; go at red is wrong.
         There are those by subjective feelings:    (You may argue
that right and wrong is in this category.  It is only a matter of definition.)
         In my understanding it is easy to illustrate the definition
of good vs evil:  Whatever "I" (first person singular of the person
making the statement) like is good, whatever I do not like is
evil.  Here, "I" can be replaced by "we".  When a group of people
making these statements will be more convincing, either by the
increase volume of the sound they make or by the added strength of
weapon they carry.  When the Church (that is, the leaders and the
blind followers) like some body, they say "good" so they can bless
people,  grant kings power...  When they do no like somebody, they
say "evil" and they can burn people alive as witches.  When they
dislike some at one time and then like the same person later they can
burn Joan d'Arc and then Saint her.  I have met many divorced
people.  I thought I was lucky I never met the evil one.  Finally I
realized no matter which of the two I met, the other one is, by
definition, the "evil" one.

         When people are so used to the concept of assigning others
as good and evil, the even would go so far as calling anything,
including nature phenomenon as good or evil by the standard of
whether they like it or not.  If a rain benefit the farmers it is
good.  If it rains on their leaking roof it is evil.  When the
wall-like wave comes in through Chien Tong river month it is the
rear, once per year scene of beauty to be enjoyed.  When it comes
without warning to a populated area so as to drawn thousands it is
evil.  Tsunami has been in existence for millions of years.  Only
when it comes to modern era when there are many people to kill it
became evil.  One could very well attribute the evilness to the high
population instead of to the waves.  Earth quake is one of the
natural phenomenon which people have hard time to find benefit.  So,
every one calls it evil because no one likes it.  Well, it is lucky
that the earth crest moves in small amount with little quakes here
and there.  If it does not have such quakes and wait, it is going to
move a huge amount per shift.  Say, if S Andrea's fault did not move
a little a time but wait to move two feet at one shot, it might send
SF completely off into the ocean. In this sense, little quakes can
release the pressure and therefore avoid a huge quake.  It benefit
humanity.   If you really have to assign some moral value to a
natural phenomenon, it can be call "good", not evil, after all.

Best Regards, Shiangtai