[Buddha-l] Philosophy of Religion

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri May 4 10:41:58 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 02 May 2007 23:22, Bob Zeuschner wrote:

> In a western university, the only religion that the students know
> anything about is Christianity and maybe some Judaism (and they don't
> know much about either).

Amen to that, Brother Bob! Every year I find the ignorance that students have
managed to accumulate about religions they profess to follow a little more
breathtaking. This was true even in Canada, but the ignorance of American
students has surpassed my wildest expectations. It has been my experience
every year to encounter at least a few students who tell me that their
ministers have told them to be very careful of what they hear about religion
on university campuses. I can see by the looks on their faces that when the
topic of religion comes up, many minds in the classroom slam shut.

> The entire field of Philosophy of Religion grew up around critical
> thinking about Christianity.
>
> Indeed, one can apply all those tools to Buddhism.
>
> The problem is that the professor would have to spend half the semester
> teaching the students what the Buddha (Nagarjuna; Dharmakirti, etc.)
> said, what evidence they offered to support conclusions, etc.

You have hit upon the biggest practical problem facing not only the teaching
of Asian religions in a philosophy of religion class, but also the teaching
of Asian philosophy in a philosophy department. Before one can think
critically about anything, one has to have a fair to middling idea of what
the person being criticized has said. This is not an easy thing to do.

> The philosophy of religion as taught in the universities that I am
> familiar with challenges the claims of theism, but they also focus on
> theism. The text books I am familiar with do focus on monotheism and
> related problems like arguments for existence of a supreme being, and
> theodicy.

For a few years I have been asking to teach our course in philosophy of
religion. While I would deal with some of the standard Western thinkers, I
would spend most of my time offering a critical examination of topics in
Hinduism and Buddhism. In a way, I do that already. I had a seminar last
semester in which we really tore the Buddhist doctrine of anaatman to pieces,
and next semester I'll be tearing Dharmakiirti to shreds to determine whether
he wrote anything defensible on logic and epistemology. The trouble with such
courses, I find, beyond the issue of people not really having enough
background to do serious critical work, is that people with a leaning toward
Christianity feel triumphant when they discover that Buddhist theoreticians
had feet of clay, and people with a leaning to Asian religions come away
feeling their faith has been trashed. So rather than coming away exhilarated
at being a little more skilled in critical thinking, some students seem to
come away feeling a bit deflated. Perhaps that is always what happens in
philosophy of religion, or indeed in any critical academic approach to
anything.

Perhaps we should all just drink our hemlock so the world can get on its
shallow way.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy