[Buddha-l] Victimized vegans?

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri May 11 10:28:56 MDT 2007

"And the excuse that drinking milk is stealing from a calf is just turning
nature into private property, which is stupid."

Hmmmm--theoretically a good point. However, cows were kept as property from
time immemorial, either by householders or in herds by herding cultures.
Same goes for crops, trees, land, on and on. Unfortunately the concept of
private property is ancient, and if there was a commons shared among a
group, woe to anyone not of the sharing group who availed of their commons.
Joanna
======================================

Well, if my memory serves me right vegetarianism came in vogue in India
at the time of Ashoka. The Buddha only prohibited monks to eat meat of
animals slaughtered only on behalf of them.
I must say I cannot find much sympathy fore those naïve kids who think
they can live without leaving a footprint. And the excuse that drinking

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950