[Buddha-l] Victimized vegans?

David S vipassana8123 at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 22:23:41 MDT 2007

I don't think vegans will consider themselves victimized, because that couple was not providing a vegan diet for their infant.  I don't know of any [other] vegan family that refuses to give human breast milk from the mother to their babies.

  The vegan diet / philosophy is opposed to using animals for the production of our food, but has no problems with the consumption of human breast milk for babies.  All mammals are meant to be given breast milk from their mothers.  It is after the age of about one year that it becomes an issue for vegans.  No other animal species on the planet consumes the milk of another species before or after the age of one year.

  I am not a vegan, I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian, but admit the vegan diet and philosophy seems ideal.  I know many vegans and know that millions of vegans have raised very healthy children on vegan diets.  But this includes either the mother's breast milk during infancy or a high quality milk or soy baby formula replacement.

  This couple that is being sent to prison apparently did not give their baby infant formula, but rather soy milk and apple juice only.  That would be malnutrition for anyone, infant or adult.  Vegans eat a variety of foods and include many items high in iron and protein.

  I think the whole thing is an attempt by the Georgia court to show how looney vegetarians and vegans are;  which is false.  Vegetarians and vegans do not feed their babies soy milk and apple juice.  They provide a variety of foods.

  Contrary to some views that may have been presented or implied here, Buddhists are not all vegans or even vegetarian.  Most Buddhists eat meat and yes, a large percentage is vegetarian, but certainly not the majority.  There are sutras that expound vegetarianism and even veganism, but there are also others that specify which animals can be eaten and which cannot.  There is also the famous "three-fold rule" by which monks and nuns graciously accept whatever is placed in the alms bowl, regardless if it is meat or not.

  I prefer the vegan diet, but like Richard find it impossible to participate in any social or family functions (they are separate, right?) with the strict vegan lifestyle so compromise somewhat more than I wish to and especially when someone took the trouble to prepare a meal for me.

  David Snyder